Innovation at the Speed of Opportunity
In 2014 you should try implementing a company- wide innovation platform that can effectively capture the collective wisdom of employees, partners, and customers; and efficiently manage the identification and implementation of next generation products and services. It’s time for change.
Choosing the right tools and having the proper expertise to effectively innovate will be a defining factor in a company’s ability to survive in today’s increasingly complex, competitive business landscape. It’s time to think differently.
In America, we’re reminded of the life-changing power of inventiveness every day. We all know innovation is important. In today’s business climate, innovation isn’t an option. It’s a requirement. Yet many organizations stop short of innovative solutions because it is ‘disruptive.’ Disruption is often contrary to ‘business as usual’ and should be merged rather that shoved into the business stream. Streams flow into rivers, rivers flow into lakes but if they are against the flow disruption and chaos result. Learn from nature. How does change manifest itself? Mergers or mayhem? Better Change.
As this year comes to an end, I want to challenge you to ‘think inside the box’ in 2014. The problem is inside the box so why remain outside of it?
It’s time to innovate at the speed of opportunities.
Most companies and individuals I approach tell me that that the way they generate good ideas and turn them into products and services has changed little over the years because they face a long list of obstacles: piecing together critical information, storing it in disparate sources, and developing a consistent process of bringing best of breed ideas to market.
Even though most companies know innovation is a must- have, how exactly do you execute innovation?
Guided by the framework of science and experimentation here’s some ‘resolutions’ for your Journey to Bright Ideas in 2014.
- A solution requires justification and validation; a BRIGHT IDEA needs no justification.
- A solution is an end point; a BRIGHT IDEA is just the beginning.
- A solution is sold and self-supporting; a BRIGHT IDEA is tender and must be built upon.
- Don’t kill BRIGHT IDEAs with roadblocks.
- Express all BRIGHT IDEAS
- DEEM NO BRIGHT IDEA TOO WILD TO BE CONSIDEREDGETTING TOGETHER WITH OTHERS TO BRAINSTORM IS DESIRABLE
- CRITICISM OR NEGATIVE EVALUATION SHOULD BE AVOIDED
- RECORD ALL BRIGHT IDEAS
- TIME TO LET BRIGHT IDEAS ‘INCUBATE’ SHOULD BE ALLOWED
- FRAME THE QUESTIONS
- “What is the problem we are about to solve” instead…THE PROBLEM WE ARE ABOUT TO RESOLVE IS…
- ‘Why do you consider this a problem?” instead…THIS IS A PROBLEM BECA– USE…
- QUALITY IS IMPORTANT; EVERY BRIGHT IDEA THAT COMES TO MIND SHOULD BE INCLUDED.